I AM ONE DETERMINED OLD LADY!

You would never think that boarding sheep for friends would introduce you to a new hobby, but it did. I got, as a gift for caring for some show sheep one summer, a needlefelted doll holding a lamb and a bird. It was ME! What an adorable surprise!

I love that little doll and wondered how it was made. I know the wool used to make it came from the sheep I took care of, which made it even more special, but how did it come to be a doll?

I began researching "felting" on the internet and found there were groups, lists, websites, and many links on not only needle felting but wet felting. Wow, was I excited. I purchased some kits, needles, books, and band-aids and began needlefelting my first item.

I must mention I have absolutely no artistic skills that I know of. I can not even draw a stick man. But I am determined to learn this new art.

First I did a heart that I gave to my daughter. Then I tried a mouse. I thought I would try something else, so I ordered a bunny kit. After I did the bunny that turned out to look like a pooh, I decided this may not be such a good idea. I needed more help. Someone to talk to, people to look at my work and give me honest criticism. Feeling almost ready to give up I started to surf the web again.

I joined several lists and came upon TAG (Thread Artists Guild) where I found they had definitions for their members that measured their progression in their felting skills. I thought if I had a goal, it would keep me going and I would not be ready to pack it in before I gave it an honest try. So I joined and began working towards my goal to become a real honest to God fiber artist.

According to TAG I am an Apprentice. To progress I must make 25 creations that will be submitted and approved. I am still working on my first 25. By the way, I did not need any band-aids yet.

This blog will give me an opportunity to show my progress from the beginning to the end of this new journey.



Friday, April 4, 2008

Mini Teddy Hugs - online magazine for bears!


No comments: